Once called “Sailor’s” or “Saylee’s” Island, this location is a favorite among local nesting gulls.
Private Boater Information:
Moorings at Peddocks are temporarily closed for maintenance and are not accepting reservations at this time. However, the public ferries to Peddocks are running on a regular schedule.
Cormorants, white egrets, and seagulls roost in the branches of weathered trees overlooking the harbor. Several other trees such as maple, oak, birch, and sumac populate the remainder of the landscape. The island was renamed Sarah Island after it was purchased by John Langlee in 1686. It later was purchased by John R. Brewer, who passed it down to his children. Sarah Island was acquired by the town of Hingham after being given by one of John. R. Brewer’s descendants.
Visitors may enjoy views of the local wildlife and of the surrounding islands. Visitation during nesting season is strongly discouraged, as the local birds become very territorial. Nearby moorings are available by reservation through the Hingham Harbormaster.