Reel Fun Fishing Day at Nut Island
Join us for a day of fishing and fun at Nut Island!
Come to Nut Island to help celebrate two very special Boston Harbor Islands National & State Park anniversaries with a day of fishing and fun!
- Learn how to fish for and identify striped bass and winter flounder with the Massachusetts Division of Marine Fisheries and the MassWildlife Angler Education Program (rods, bait, and tackle provided)
- Meet National Park Service Rangers and be sworn in as an *official* Boston Harbor Islands Junior Ranger
- Play games, color, and learn “what not to flush” with the Massachusetts Water Resources Authority (MWRA)
- Learn about Boston Harbor’s biodiversity and meet *real crabs* with Save the Harbor/Save the Bay
- Pick up educational materials from New England Water Environment Association
- Enjoy a picnic with a view: bring your own lunch or purchase from a food truck on site
- Explore the trails of Nut Island on your own
DIRECTIONS: It is highly recommended to carpool or take public transportation, as parking for the event is limited.
Parking: Navigate to Atherton Hough Elementary School (1084 Sea St, Quincy, MA 02169) and follow signs to the parking lot to catch the shuttle to Nut Island (see details below).
MBTA: Take or transfer to the Red Line T toward Braintree
- Exit at Quincy Center Station
- Walk 2 minutes to transfer to the 216 bus (Houghs Neck via Germantown)
- Exit the 216 at Sea St @ Manet Ave and walk to the Atherton Hough School parking lot for shuttle service
SHUTTLE SERVICE: A shuttle will be running from Atherton Hough School to Nut Island every 30 minutes, beginning at 10:00am and ending at 1:00pm. Shuttle service from Nut Island back to the Atherton Hough School lot will also run approximately every 30 minutes beginning at 11:15am, with the last trip departing at 2:00pm.
This service is *free* for all youth ages 16 and under, and $2 for all other guests ages 17 and older.
- Atherton Hough –> Nut Island: 10:00am – 10:30am – 11:00am – 11:30am – 12:00pm – 12:30pm – 1:00pm
- Nut Island –> Atherton Hough: 11:15am – 11:45am – 12:15pm – 12:45pm – 1:15pm – 2:00pm
This program is presented by the National Park Service, Massachusetts Division of Marine Fisheries, Massachusetts Division of Fisheries and Wildlife (MassWildlife), Massachusetts Water Resources Authority (MWRA), Boston Harbor Now, and Save the Harbor/Save the Bay as part of the commemoration of the Boston Harbor Islands’ 25th anniversary as a National Park and 50th anniversary as a State Park.