Know Before You Go
As summer finally swings into gear, we are so happy that you can experience Spectacle Island. Whether you are a new visitor, or this is a weekly visit, Spectacle Island offers beautiful views, a chance to stretch your legs, and lots of fresh air!
Following the guidelines established by the state of Massachusetts in response to COVID-19, we have made important changes in our operations to keep you and others safe to enjoy your trip. Please read through the notes below to stay safe and enjoy Spectacle Island.
Planning Your Trip to Spectacle Island
- Click Here to buy your ticket in advance online. Walk up tickets are also available at the Boston Harbor Cruises Ticket Kiosk on Long Wharf.
- Pack a lunch and lots of water! Water fountains on the island will be turned off, and the concession booth will be closed, however, you may purchase food and water on the boat trip out to the island.
- Pack sunscreen, a hat, or anything else you will need for being in the sun.
- Bring face coverings to wear. Face coverings are required while traveling aboard park ferries. The use of face coverings is strongly recommended on island and social distancing practices must be followed according to Massachusetts state guidelines.
- If you or anyone in your party feels unwell, has been exposed to COVID-19, please visit us at another time.
- Try to visit us during the week at off peak times.
On the Ferry
- Revised boarding procedures: follow social distancing protocols and touchless ticketing.
- Wearing facial coverings on the boat is required.
- Ferry capacity is limited to ensure physical distancing.
- Certain areas of indoor seating are restricted.
- There is water to buy on the boat.
- The boat is vigorously cleaned between every trip.
On the Island
- Massachusetts state guidelines require face masks or cloth face coverings in public places where social distancing (staying six feet or more away from others) cannot be maintained. This applies to both indoor and outdoor spaces.
- Limited picnic areas are available for you to sit and enjoy your picnic lunch! Otherwise, there are plenty of grassy areas to sit.
- Camping on the islands has been suspended for the duration of the 2020 season.
- The Visitor Center is presently closed.
- Restrooms are open on Spectacle Island. When in the bathroom, we ask that you wear face coverings to help keep yourselves and others safe.
- As always, there are no trash receptacles on the island. Be prepared to carry out all trash generated on-island to dispose of at home.
- Special Use Permits for group gatherings are not permitted at this time. For more information, Click Here.
- Swimming on Spectacle Island is limited to west beach, located north of the dock. The beach is unguarded, and all swimming on the islands is at your own risk.
- Recreational boaters are advised that there is no dinghy or launch service. Docks are permitted for pick-up and drop offs only.
- Other islands that can be reached by recreational boaters are open from dawn until dusk. Restrooms are only available on Spectacle Island. There are no services, including no drinking water, on the other islands. For more information, visit Dockwa.
- For the most recent updates on state guidelines, Click Here.